Rajasthan Government opened women milk bank Jeevan Dhara in Jaipur [ Current Affairs ]
Rajasthan Government opened women milk bank Jeevan Dhara in Jaipur by Health Minister Rajendra Rathore and the bank would store milk from donating lactating mothers that can be used for feeding infants who are deprived of it. The state Government of Rajasthan launched the bank in collaboration with Norwegian government and JK Lon Hospital.
- The infants will get free of cost milk from lactating mothers who willingly donate it. The process of donation starts only after the donors are screened and medically tested for HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis and other diseases. This is followed by pasteurization of milk that takes around three months.
- Kolkata was the first city opened the government owned woman milk bank and Jaipur is the second in this series.
- Beside, the first mother’s milk bank in the State was started by a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in a government hospital in Udaipur.
- In 2012, the infant mortality rate in Rajasthan as per Sample Registration System (SRS) stands at 49 per 1000 live births and this is due to high non-availability of mother’s milk on time.
- Published on: April 3, 2015