Ramaswamy Iyer, popular Water policy expert passed away [ Current Affairs ]
Well - known water policy expert Ramaswamy R. Iyer passed away in New Delhi because of a severe attack of viral fever at age of 86. About Ramaswamy Iyer: Ramaswamy R. Iyer was born in October 1929 in Thakkalai, Tamil Nadu.
- He was an honorary research professor at Center for Policy Research.
- He was an officer of the Indian Inspection and Accounts Service; he was served as secretary of water resources in the Government of India.
- He was the initiator and principal draftsman of India’s first National Water Policy in 1987.
- He was worked on water - related issues and in particular on cooperation on river waters by India, Nepal, and Bangladesh, since his retirement from government.
- He was also served for international Organisations, including the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
About his achievements:
- Mr. Ramaswamy Iyer was received the Padma Shri award, the fourth - highest civilian honour in India in 2014.
- Published on: September 15, 2015