Reliance Jio signs pact with Chinese telecom giant Huawei for 4G devices [ Current Affairs ]
Reliance Jio Infocomm (RJio) is the part of Reliance Industries (RIL) and it has signed a pact with Chinese telecom equipment manufacturer firm Huawei for sourcing various 4th Generation (4G) devices. According to the agreement, Huawei will supply RJio with 4G devices which include smartphones, tablets and mifi dongles. Apart from Huawei two other Chinese telecom firms are agree to supply 4G devices to RJio.
- This agreement will play important role in RJio ambitious plans to launch 4G services by 2015 in around 5,000 towns and cities in India. It seeks to cover over 90 % of urban India and over 2.17 lakh villages.
- It is mandatory for RJio and other Indian telecom companies to roll out the 4G services who had won broadband wireless access (BWA) spectrum in 2010 by August 31, 2015 as per the licensing agreement.
- These services must be rolled out in at least 90 per cent of the service areas, failing which the Department of Telecom (DoT) have the right to withdraw the radiowaves.
- Department of Telecom (DoT) also had announced the procedure to test network roll out of companies that have procured BWA spectrum.
- Published on: May 20, 2015