Rs 5748 crore AMRUT action Plans for 81 cities approved by Union Government [ Current Affairs ]
Union Government has accepted Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) Action Plans for 81 cities in 5 states with total project outlay of 5, 748 crore rupees. It was approved by an inter - ministerial Apex Committee headed by Madhusudan Prasad, Secretary, Union Ministry of Urban Development.
- The approved cities in 5 states are Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Odisha and Mizoram.
- The funds will be used to advance basic infrastructure including water supply and sewerage connections in these 5 states for the year 2015 - 16.
- Union Government will provide an assistance of 2, 440 crore rupees.
- The rest would be contributed by state governments and urban local bodies.
- Of the total approved outlay 4, 290 crore rupees would be used to provide household water supply connections and enhance water supply in 53 cities.
- Half of the urban families in these particular 81 cities do not have water supply and sewerage connections.
About AMRUT Scheme:
- It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in June 2015 for urban transformation.
- The focus of the urban regeneration projects under this scheme is to create infrastructure that could ensure adequate robust sewerage networks and water supply.
- Union Government provides an aid of 50 per cent of project cost for cities with a population of up to 10 lakhs each and one third of project cost for cities with a population of above 10 lakhs each.
- Rest of the project cost has to be abided by the states and urban local bodies.
- Published on: November 18, 2015