Russian S-400 Air Defence Missile Systems has been permitted to purchase by DAC [ Current Affairs ]
Russian advance S-400 Trium Air Defence Missile Systems purchase is clear by Defence Missile System Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), at an estimated cost of 40, 000 crore rupees. In New Delhi, during the DAC meeting chaired by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar this decision was taken.
- In December 2015, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia DAC has given approval for Defence deal.
- 5 units of the S-400 Trium air Defence missile systems would be purchase by India which are capable of destroying incoming hostile missiles, aircraft and even drones within a range of up to 400 km.
- With this purchase India become second buyer of this kind of missile system after Chin and the missile system will improvement the national air Defence capacity of India.
- The S-400 System also has ability to taking out ballistic missiles and hypersonic targets.
DAC also gave approval for
- DAC also permitted purchase of 6 regiments of the Pinaka rocket system under the ‘Make in India’ category for 14, 600 crore rupees proposed by Indian Army.
- Each Pinaka rocket system has capacity of 18 launchers and every launcher has the capability of firing 12 rockets at the same time.
- DAC also permit Indian Army’s demand for 571 light bullet-proof vehicles to be used in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations, it will cost around 310 crore rupees.
- Also agree to purchase 120 trawls which is used on Russia-origin T-72 and T-90 tanks under Buy Global category for 450 crore rupees.
- DAC is the apex body of Union Defence Ministry for clearing Defence procurement proposals forwarded by the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force.
- Published on: December 18, 2015