Sania Mirza recommended for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
About Sania Mirza: Sania Mirza born on 15 November 1986, Mumbai, Maharashtra. She is an Indian professional tennis player, currently she is ranked world No. 1 in women’s doubles. She was ranked by the Women’s Tennis Association as India’s No. 1 player, both in singles and doubles from 2003 until her retirement from singles in 2013.
- She is reputable female Indian tennis player in history and one of the highest-paid and high-profile athletes in the country.
- About recommendation for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award:
- Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has recommended name of Indian Tennis Star Sania Mirza for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2015.
- For this award, Union Sports Minister Sarbanada Sonowal promoted Sania’s name for the highest honour given for achievement in sports.
- Sania has won Three Grand Slam Mixed Doubles titles including Australian Open in 2009, French Open in 2012 and US Open in 2014.
- She was appointed as brand ambassador of Telangana state in 2014 and achieves awards: Arjuna Award in 2004 and Padma Shri in 2006.
- Sania has won 2015 women’s Doubles Wimbledon Title with her partner Martina Hingis who is from Switzerland.
About Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award:
- It was established in the year 1991–92. The words Khel Ratna in Hindi literally mean sports stone. Named after late Rajiv Gandhi the former Prime Minister of India.
- It is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Award includes a medal, scroll of honour and monetary award of 7.5 lakh rupees.
- Published on: August 3, 2015