Shreehari Aney appointed as Advocate General of Maharashtra [ Current Affairs ]
About Shreehari Aney: Shreehari Aney was born in 1950 in Pune. He completed his schooling in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. He completed his B. com at Wadia college in Pune. Aney studied law at indian law society’s law school in Pune. Aney has appeared in several high - profile matters, including the Adarsh housing society scam and the Maharashtra Sadan controversy in which he defended former minister and now Opposition leader Chhagan Bhujbal.
About appointment as advocate general of Maharashtra:
- Maharashtra government has appointed Shreehari Aney as the Advocate General (AG) of the state as per provisions of Article 165 of Constitution.
- He will succeed Sunil Manohar who had resigned in June 2015, seven months after he took over the constitutional giving personal reasons.
- He was also a member of the Maharashtra Law Commission.
- Article 165: Advocate General (AG) for the state He is person who is qualified to be appointed as a Judge of a High Court.
- He holds office during the pleasure of the Governor of state.
- His duty is to give advice to state government on legal matters and perform duties of legal character assigned by Governor.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the state Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- Published on: October 19, 2015