Silver medal at 2015 China Open won by Saina Nehwal [ Current Affairs ]
Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has won silver medal at 2015 China Open Superseries Premier Badminton tournament after finishing at second position in the Women’s Singles category. The final match was played at the Haixia Olympic Sports Centre in Fuzhou,
- In the finals the defensive champion and top seeded Saina lost to sixth placed Xuerui Li from China by 12 - 21, 15 - 21 score.
- Saina and Li had met 12 times against each other.
- Saina has won just 2 of those games.
- The final of China Open tournament was in general Saina’s fifth final of the year 2015 and the third instance in 2015 that the World No. 1 has come out second best.
Results of 2015 China Open:
- Men’s Singles category: won by Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia.
- Men’s Doubles category: won by South Korea pair of Kim Gi - jung and Kim Sa Rang.
- Women’s Doubles category: won by Chinese pair of Tang Yuanting and Yu Yang.
- Mixed Doubles category: won by Chinese pair of Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei.
About Saina Nehwal:
- She was born on 17 March 1990.
- She is an Indian badminton player who is currently ranked No. 2 in the world by Badminton World Federation Women’s Singles 2015.
- Saina is the ruling Indian national champion and is currently coached by the previous Indian badminton champion and national coach Vimal Kumar.
Awards and achievements:
- Arjuna Award (2009)
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2009–2010)
- Padma Shri (2010)
- Bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics
- Published on: November 18, 2015