Sri Lankan President has inaugurated Mahatma Gandhi International Center in Matale [ Current Affairs ]
On 22 November 2015 the President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi International Centre (MGIC) in Matale. At the inauguration ceremony The Indian High Commissioner YK Sinha was also present. As a tribute to the contribution of Mahatma Gandhi to humanity and the continuing relevance of his principles and philosophy to mankind this center was inaugurated.
- A cost to build this center was over 4 crore rupees.
- The Centre contains an auditorium, library, meditation center and a conference hall.
- The Indian government’s Development Cooperation support to found this center as Partnership with Sri Lanka.
- It will promote harmony of Mahatma Gandhi among different communities and provide a platform to reinforce the teachings.
- It will be a resource center for cultural activities and develop the lives of people through meditation and yoga.
- It will also give knowledge in various fields through seminars, workshops and conferences which will help the youth to enhance their knowledge.
- At the request of the Mahatma Gandhi Sabha at Matale which was opened by a local group of citizens following Mahatma Gandhi’s visit to Matale in 1927 the Mahatma Gandhi International Centre was built.
- Sri Lankan government gave the society land in 1947 and a small building was constructed in 1952. The society functions on the principles and teachings of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Published on: November 24, 2015