Syed Akbaruddin has appointed as India’s Permanent Representative to UN [ Current Affairs ]
Senior Indian representative Syed Akbaruddin has been appointed as India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations at New York. He will succeed Asoke Kumar Mukerji who will be retiring soon.
Akbaruddin’s main task would be to push India’s bid to gain permanent membership of the UN Security Council (UNSC) and also strongly advocate its position on key issues.
- He is 1985 batch officer of Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
- Previous to this selection he was serving as Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Formerly he served as MEA’s high - profile spokesperson.
- He was also was Chief Coordinator of successful third India Africa Foreign Summit held in New Delhi in October 2015.
- He also had served at the Geneva based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- He is an expert on the West Asia where he had earlier served in various capacities.
- Published on: November 18, 2015