Sylvie Lucas chosen as Chair of IGN of UNSC Reforms [ Current Affairs ]
United Nations (UN) Sylvie Lucas is appointed as the next chair of the Inter - Governmental Negotiations (IGN) of UN Security Council Reforms. She was appointed by 70th UN General Assembly session.
- She replaced Jamaican Ambassador to UN Courtenay Rattray.
About Sylvie Lucas:
- She was born on 30 June 1965 is Luxembourg’s ambassador to the United Nations now.
- She was the president of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) from January 2009 to January 2010.
- She received a Master’s degree in history and also in political science.
- From 1995 to 2000 she was the deputy permanent representative of Luxembourg to the United Nations.
- She returned to the Department of Political Affairs as deputy director from 2000 to 2003.
- In 2003 she became Luxembourg’s ambassador to Portugal and Cape Verde.
- In 2004 she again returned to the Department of Political Affairs as director.
- On 25 August 2008 she became the United Nations’ permanent representative from Luxembourg.
- In September 2008 she was elected vice - president of ECOSOC.
- On 15 January 2009 she was elected to a one - year term as president of ECOSOC.
About United Nations Security Council:
- It includes five key issues: categories of membership, the question of the veto, regional representation, the size of an enlarged Council, and the Security Council - General Assembly relationship.
- Member States, regional groups and other Member State interest groupings establishes different positions and suggestions on moving forward the current issue.
- Any expansion of the Security Council would require the agreement of at least two - thirds of UN member states.
- Published on: October 29, 2015