TPP Nair, SP Misra, Romeo James selected for Dhyan Chand award 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
About TPP Nair: TPP Nair’s full name is TP Padmanabhan Nair and he is from Cherukunnu of Kannur. He is former volleyball captain of Indian team. He was the only Indian volleyball player who had won two Asian Games medals.
- He cried foul after he was ignored for the Arjuna Award in 2013.
About SP Misra:
- Sumant Misra was born on 11th January 1923 in Faizabad of Uttar Pradesh.
- He played in the Indian Tennis Davis Cup team for nine years between 1947 and 1956.
- He also captained the Indian Tennis team in 1952 and 1953.
- He was secretary of the All India Tennis Association from 1963 to 1966 and on the Committee of Management of International Tennis Federation during 1965 to 1967.
- He was died on 3 September 2011 at age 88.
About Romeo James:
- Romeo James was born in year 1958.
- He is an Indian hockey player.
- He played at Summer Olympics in Los Angeles in 1984, where the Indian team got fifth rank.
- About their selection for Dhyan Chand Award:
- Former Indian hockey captain Zafar Iqbal who is head of the award selection committee selected their names out of 60 applicants.
About Dhyan Chand Award
- Dhyan Chand Award is India’s highest award gives for lifetime achievement in sports and games.
- It was started in 2002 and given name as Dhyan Chand after Indian hockey player Dhyan Chand.
- It is given by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- This award carries a plaque, scroll of honour and cash rupees of 5 lakh.
- Published on: August 19, 2015