The landmark Silchar-Lumding broad gauge rail line has inaugurated by Railway Ministry in Assam [ Current Affairs ]
The landmark Silchar - Lumding broad gauge rail line in Assam has inaugurated by union Railways Ministry. Union Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurate the train by flagging off a passenger train from New Delhi via video - conference.
About Silchar - Lumding :
- Assam’s underdevelopment is leads by Silchar - Lumding broad gauge rail line but strategically important Barak Valley on the broad gauge map.
- The connectivity in the northeast region and one of the largest gauge conversion projects of Indian Railways is a milestone of this broad gauge.
- The line has along with the track 75 major bridges and 340 minor bridges. It and also passes through 21 tunnels.
- The entire project cost was around 3, 500 crore rupees.
- It would act as lifeline and play an important role in advance development in Barak Valley of Assam and other Northeastern states like Tripura, Manipur and Mizoram.
- The Government of India approved The Lumding - Silchar Gauge Conversion Project in 1996 - 97 under the Northeast Frontier Railway.
- In 2004, the strategic project was declared as a National Project. From 2006 to 2009 the project was hit by revolt but later the Territorial Army was deployed to take on the revolution.
- Published on: November 23, 2015