Union Cabinet approves Solar Power capacity target to 1 lakh MW under JNNSM by 2022 [ Current Affairs ]
Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved increasing India’s solar power capacity which increase capacity of five times from current capacity under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) to 1 Lakh Mega Watt (MW) by 2022 in new Delhi. 1 Lakh Mega Watt (MW) target principally will comprise of 40,000 MW from Rooftop and 60,000 MW through Large and Medium Scale Grid Connected Solar Power Projects.
- According to the approval, India will become one of the largest Green Energy producers in the world by surpassing several developed countries.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) also approved setting up of over 2,000 MW of Grid-Connected Solar Power Projects on BOOT basis.
- JNNSM will be set up by Solar Power Developers with Viability Gap Funding under JNNSM with total investments of 12,000 crore rupees.
- Projects of JNNSM will help in generation of additional 2000 MW capacity of Grid-connected solar power projects and create employment of about 12,500 people in rural and urban areas.
- JNNSM will also help to reduce about 3.42 Million Tonnes of carbon emissions into the open environment every year.
- Published on: June 24, 2015