Union Cabinet gives nod to Consumer protection Bill of 2015 [ Current Affairs ]
About Customer protection Bill: In India the Consumer Protection Act of 1986 is the law governing consumer protection. About approval from union government: Union Cabinet approved Consumer Protection Bill, 2015 to deal with the growing concern over the safety of consumer products and services.
- The new bill finds to replace Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- It aims is to simplify the consumer disagreement resolve process as well improving the financial authority of the consumer objection Redressal agencies.
Important Key features of the Bill:
- Central Consumer Protection Authority will establish to protect and enforce the rights of consumers. It will have powers to recollection of products and immediate action against nonpayment companies. It will include e-trailers for refunds and return of products.
- Product liability feature used when a product or services causes personal injury, expiry or damage to product.
- Strict penalty is used when the Bill adds strict penalty requirements including life custody.
- Establishment of circuit bench is for speedy removal of complaints. Consumers can file complaints electronically circuit bench along with traditional mechanism of filing complaints.
- Published on: August 4, 2015