Union Government asked Bihar, TN, Rajasthan to introduce milk in mid day meal scheme [ Current Affairs ]
Union Government of India requested the Chief Ministers of Bihar, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan to encourage supply of free milk in the Mid Day Meal to school children under child welfare scheme. At present, two states Karnataka which was earlier star in 2012-13 under project Ksheerabhagya and Madhya Pradesh provides free milk products to school children under the Mid Day Meal scheme.
- Milk Products will be provided with an aim to increase the nutritional level in the Mid Day Meal for school children.
- The decision was made in a review meeting in which it was found that the State Milk Federations of these states have surplus stock of skimmed milk powder.
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has written a letter to these states to supply of free milk products to students.
- The serving of milk under mid day meal scheme would help the milk producers and cooperatives and poor student (lack of nutrition) because milk contributes close to a third of the gross income of rural households.
- Published on: June 30, 2015