Union Government has advance the date of BS V norms up to April 1, 2019 [ Current Affairs ]
For Bharat Stage (BS) V and BS VI implementation Union Government has decided to roll out the date of production norms for four - wheelers to reduce vehicular air pollution from road transport sector. According to union Governments new decision, BS V norms will be executing from 1st of April, 2019 and BS VI norms from 1st April, 2021.
- As considering the Auto Fuel Policy 2003, the draft notification was issued Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
About Bharat stage (BS) norms
- The government has decided Bharat stage (BS) norms standers are release to control the amount of air pollutants from vehicles.
- In 2000, this was adopted by European regulation standard as ‘Euro norms’.
- Government has allotted Bharat stage (BS) norms to 4 states.
- For the released pollution certain limit is specified for each stage and in the successive higher stages, the BS norms reduces the limit of pollutant release.
Issued BS stages are
- BS - I Euro 1 2000
- BS - II Euro 2 2005
- BS - III Euro 3 2010
- BS - IV Euro 4 2015 (63 cities till 1 April 2015)
Previously, Saumitra Chaudhry Committee had suggested to introduce even lesser vehicular pollutant releasing BS - V (0.005 rspm) and BS - VI (0.0025 rspm) norms to all over the nation by 2022 and 2024 respectively.
- Published on: November 30, 2015