Union Government launched India’s first Modernized Aanganwadi Centre at Hasanpur village in Sonepat [ Current Affairs ]
Maneka Gandhi who is the Union Minister for Women and Child Development (WCD) was inaugurated the first modernized Aanganwadi centre of India at Hasanpur village of Sonepat in Haryana. The centre has been set up as part of Nand-Ghar Yojana of Union Government which aims at transforming the Aanganwadi centres.
- The Aanganwadi centre at Hasanpur has been built in partnership with private mining firm Vedanta at a cost of 12 lakh rupees (area of 780 square feet) while the land was provided by the Gram Panchayat of Haryana state.
- State-run National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC) will construct modern Aanganwadi as per the guidance of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The centre is based on the concept of Building as a Learning Aid piloted by UNICEF and will be in addition to the existing Aanganwadi model for efficient delivery of Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS).
- As per the ICDS scheme guidelines, a modernized Aanganwadi centre must have a separate sitting room for children/women, separate kitchen, store for food items and dedicated space for children to play.
- Anganwadi centres were started by the Ministry of WCD in 1975 as part of the ICDS programme to combat child hunger and malnutrition.
- Published on: June 30, 2015