Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries sanctioned 17 Mega Food Parks [ Current Affairs ]
Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries sanctioned 17 Mega Food Parks (MFPs). These parks are aimed at creating state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities to reduce food wastage and create value addition.
- The 17 Mega Food Parks (MFPs) will be spread across 11 States. While Kerala, Telangana, Haryana, Punjab, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu were sanctioned two MFPs each whereas Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar were sanctioned one MFP each.
- These Mega Food Parks will sanction around 2000 crore rupees in modern food processing infrastructure including 850 crore rupees grant-in-aid provided by the government to these establishments.
- In 2008, the Scheme was launched by UPA Government which based on the food supply chain due to which around 33 percent food is wasted in India making it the largest food waster in the world.
- An additional collective investment of 4000 crore rupees is also expected to be invested in 500 food processing units to be set up in these parks.
- These parks will generate direct or indirect employment for 80000 people and it is estimated to benefit around 5 lakh farmers once they become operational.
- Published on: March 26, 2015