United Kingdom celebrates 800 years of Magna Carta [ Current Affairs ]
United Kingdom (UK) celebrated 800 years of signing of Magna Carta which is a Latin word which in English means Great Charter and also present UK Prime Minister David Cameron in the celebrations. The celebrations to observe signing of 8 century year old historic document which had laid foundation for modern democratic society was led by Queen Elizabeth II.
- Magna Carta is most important document of England signed on 15 June 1215 at Runnymede alongside the River Thames in the English county of Surrey.
- Magna Carta had originated as a peace and truce treaty between King John and a group of rebellious barons within his kingdom and it also laid the principle of balance of power between the governed and government.
- Magna Carta had laid the first steps towards parliamentary democracy and the principle supremacy of law i.e. no one is above the law.
- The document had written promises between King John and his subjects mentioning that the king will govern England and deal with its people according to the customs of feudal law.
- Third part of this constitution which contains fundamental rights, described as the magna carta of India which has been derived inspiration from Bill of Rights.
- Published on: June 23, 2015