Uttarakhand gets India’s first earthquake early warning system [ Current Affairs ]
Uttarakhand became first Indian state to install a system to detect earthquakes and disseminate warnings. Italian firm, Space Dynamics is designed and manufactured the system which already has installed it in Japan, Italy and US.
- The first system has been installed first in its capital Dehradun which will issue warnings 1-40 seconds before earthquakes of magnitude 5 or more occur.
- Earthquake early warning is incorporated with sensors which are capable to detect P (Primary) and S (Secondary) waves generated during an earthquake.
- This system is capable to detect the harmless P wave, which travels faster than the S wave for advance warning.
- The second system will be established at Pithoragarh in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand. The system has the earliest detection among those currently in use worldwide.
- According to the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Uttarakhand falls under seismic zone V i.e. High-Risk Seismic Zone.
- Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Rann of Kutch (Gujarat), Northern Bihar and Andaman & Nicobar Islands also fall under this seismic zone.
- Published on: July 14, 2015