Western Digital (WD) purchase SanDisk in $19 billion [ Current Affairs ]
Western Digital is an America based computer data Storage Company and one of the largest manufacturers of computer hard disk drive in the world with Seagate Technology. Seagate Technology is an America based data storage company.
- It was integrated as Shugart Technology in 1978.
- From 2010, it is incorporated in Dublin of Ireland with operational headquarters in Cupertino of California, United States.
- It was founded by Al Shugart, Tom Mitchell, Doug Mahon, Finis Conner and Syed Iftikar in October 1979.
- Western Digital Corporation is known as an integrated circuit maker and a storage products company in the electronics industry.
- It was started as General Digital, initially a manufacturer of MOS test equipment on 23rd April, 1970 by Alvin B. Phillips who was a Motorola employee.
- It assumed its current name Western Digital and also introduced its first product, the WD1402A UART around July 1971.
- SanDisk Company is an American company that designs, develops and manufactures flash memory storage devices and software.
- SanDisk is the third largest producer of flash memory in the world.
- It was founded by Dr. Eli Harari, Sanjay Mehrotra and Jack Yuan, non - volatile memory technology experts in 1988. Sanjay Mehrotra is president and chief executive officer of SanDisk.
About the purchasing of SanDisk:
- Western Digital announced that it will pay $19 billion that means Rs. 1.23 lakh crore for flash memory expert SanDisk.
- Published on: October 23, 2015