World Osteoporosis Day: Good health for bones with diet and exercise [ Current Affairs ]
About osteoporosis ; Osteoporosis is a disease where decreased bone strength increases the possibility of a broken bone. It is the most common reason for a broken bone among people who are old. Osteoporosis may be due to lower than normal peak bone mass and greater than normal bone loss.
- Bones that commonly break include the back bones, the bones of the forearm, and the hip
- Prevention of osteoporosis consists of a proper diet during childhood and efforts to avoid medications that cause the condition.
- Struggles to prevent broken bones in those with osteoporosis include a good diet, exercise, and fall prevention.
About world osteoporosis day:
- World Osteoporosis Day is celebrated annually on 20 October to raise awareness of the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease.
- The functions of the bones in the human body are plenty and serious. The bones play a dynamic role in supporting our bodies, giving us strong skeletal structures that allow us to live on land without falling down under our own weight.
- As the bones become thinner with age, the older you are, the greater will be your risk of osteoporosis.
- Diet and physical exercise play a active role in safeguarding healthy bones
- Our bones also act as a store for calcium, an component that plays an important role in the working of cells all through our bodies, as well as in the conduction of electrical impulses along our nerves
About cure and prevention:
- Foods rich in calcium, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K, strontium, boron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium are important to help maintain healthy bones as well as to reduce your risk of fractures.
- Dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt are the best source of calcium.
- Weight - bearing and muscle - strengthening exercises can help maintain bone density while preventing osteoporosis.
- However, high - impact weight - bearing exercises such as dancing, running, and jumping rope should be avoided if you already have broken a bone.
- Our bones, like the rest of our bodies need special care as they continue to restock our cells and support us.
- Published on: October 20, 2015