‘Indira Awaas Yojana’ Will Be Takeover by ‘Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana’ by 2017 [ Current Affairs ]
Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) will going to be completed in March 2017 and in the last six month of the compilation it will run parallel with the Narendra Modi’s Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana (PMAY).
- The PMAY will be launched in October 2016 by the Union rural development ministry.
- Under-construction houses of Indira Awaas Yojana should be completed in the 2016-17 financial year.
- PMAY will include IAY which has been the good example for subsidized housing for rural poor.
- Under the PMAY a targeted subsidy programme government is aims to build one crore houses up to 2019.
Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY)
- IAY was launched in May 1985.
- It is sub-scheme of Jawahar Rozgar Yojana which was launched to provide additional wage employment in rural area and also to provide food security.
- Letter on 1st January 1996 IAY was implemented as an independent scheme.
- The main aim of IAY is to provide support in the form of full grant to help rural people below the poverty-line (BPL) belonging to SCs/STs, freed bonded laborers and non-SC/ST categories in construction of house units and upgradation of existing unserviceable kuccha houses.
- The IAY benefits of IAY was extended to widows or next-of-kin of defence personnel killed in action from 1995-96.
- From the total amount of fund 3% was reserved for the disabled persons who are living below the poverty-line in rural areas and letter from 2006-07 IAY funds are also being reserved for minorities.
- Published on: September 20, 2016