10 Years of Implementation Has Been Completed of Mgnrega [ Current Affairs ]
10 year of implementation is completed of The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005. And with the aim to highlight the achievements MGNREGA, Union Ministry of Rural Development has organized MGNREGA SAMMELAN in New Delhi.
- And at the event Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was Chief Guest.
About Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005
- In February 2006 former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has announced MGNREGA scheme.
- And according to this scheme it provides 100 days wage employment to every household to ensure livelihood security in rural areas.
- The main objective of the scheme is at sustainable development to address the cause of drought, deforestation and soil erosion.
- 33 % of jobs are secured for women according to this scheme.
- For the implementation of the scheme Union Ministry of Rural Development has plays important role as nodal agency.
Status of Implementation
- The total expenses on the scheme are estimated around 3 lakh crore rupees since its implementation.
71 % from total amount has been spent on wage payments to workers among them:
20 % on SC
17 % on ST
57 % for Women participation, above the statutory requirement of 33%.
- 1, 980 crore person-days employment have been created by this programme.
- About more than 65 % of the works has taken under MGNREGA are mostly linked into activates like: agriculture and allied.
- Published on: February 3, 2016