11th ASEM Summit Begins in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia [ Current Affairs ]
The 11th Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM11) or ASEM2016 began in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Ulaanbaatar is a capital of Mongolia. Summit theme is ‘Partnership for the Future through Connectivity’.
- Prime Minister Dr Ahmad Zahid is legend Malaysia’s delegation at the 11th ASEM.
- World leaders including from the leaders of 51 countries gathering in the wake of another stunning terrorist attack in southern France that killed at least 80 people.
- The representatives of European Union and Asian are attending the two day summit.
- India’s agenda for the summit is to push the efforts to improvement inter-continental connectivity.
- ASEM2016 is first major bilateral diplomatic gathering after recent ruling by UN-backed international tribunal.
- It held in the new world environment after Britain’s exit from the European Union and a global economic go-slow.
- It has hit down China’s claims in strategic South China Sea.
- ASEM2016 will take into attention the issue of terrorism during deliberations after recent terror strike in Bangladesh and some European countries.
About Asia-Europe Meeting Summit (ASEM)
- ASEM is an informal process of discussion and cooperation that brings 53 units – including 51 countries (including India) from Asia and Europe.
- Two regional bodies European Union (EU) and the ASEAN are also included in ASEM.
- ASEM was officially established in March 1996.
- The first summit in Bangkok, Thailand.
- The discussion related with political, economic and cultural issues between the two regions.
- It has strengthen relationship between the two regions in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
ASEM represents around
- 62.3 % of the world’s population
- 57.2 % of the global GDP
- Almost 60 % of the world’s trade.
- Published on: July 15, 2016