12th South Asian Games Opened with a Colorful Ceremony [ Current Affairs ]
The 12th edition of South Asian Games (SAG) has begun after inauguration by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati, Assam. This multi sports event of 11 days is began from 5th February 2016 which is jointly hosted by Guwahati and Meghalaya capital, Shillong.
8 SAARC countries will participates in this and they are:
- Sri Lanka,
- Nepal and
Total 2, 500 athletes will participate in this event; there will be 228 events in 23 different sports.
- India is hosting this event for the third time.
- Slogan of Games: “Paly for Peace, Progress and Prosperity”.
- Official Mascot: Tikhor, a one-horned rhino that represents endangered fauna of Assam found in Kaziranga National Park.
About South Asian Games
- It was established as South Asian Federation Games and after in 2004 it is renamed as South Asian Games.
- It is a multi-sports event, it was formed in 2004.
- The first South Asian Games were hosted by Kathmandu, Nepal in 1984 and have since been held every two years except for some occasions.
- It was established as South Asian Federation Games, but in 2004 was renamed as.
- Theme Song of 12th South Asian Games is ‘Ei Prithibi Ek Krirangan’ which means ‘The world is a playground’, written by Bhupen Hazarika an Indian lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam.
- It pursue total of 764 medals (228 Gold, 228 Silver and 308 Bronze medals) are on offer in 2016 South Asian Games.
- Published on: February 9, 2016