13th February is Observed as World Radio Day [ Current Affairs ]
13th February is observed as World Radio Day (WRD) globally to remember the unique power of radio that touches lives and bring people together across every corner of the globe. Importance of Day: This day is observed annually to marks global celebration of radio as a medium for information and entertainment which refuse communication gap for distant communities and authorizing people.
- This year theme is “Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster”, which indicates that radio is the communication medium that touches the widest audience worldwide in the fastest in times of emergency and disaster.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) celebrate this day with different activities through broadcasters, organizations and communities around the world.
- In Bhubaneswar, Odisha2 day (on 13 - 14 February) annual international radio fair ‘Outreach International Radio Fair-2016’ has been organized this year.
- All India Radio, External broadcasters, private FMs, community radio and internet radio stations all are participating in this Fair.
About World Radio Day
- UNESCO has announced 13th February as World Radio Day by at its 36th General Assembly in 2011 proclaimed.
- In 1946, on this day United Nations Radio had transmitted (broadcasted) has signed its first call sign.
- And in 2012 the first WRD was officially celebrated.
- Published on: February 15, 2016