19 August Observed as World Humanitarian Day Celebrated [ Current Affairs ]
19 August is being celebrated as the World Humanitarian Day (WHD) every year to appreciate and honor all of those who work for humanitarian personnel and have lost their lives while working for humanitarian causes and to make people aware about humanitarian assistance activates is taking form across the world.
- The day also provides the spirit that inspires humanitarian work around the globe.
- “One Humanity” is the theme of 2016.
- The day aims to highlights significance of international cooperation and shows human experiences which get people together across the world and also to demand action for the most danger risk stuff nearer.
- “The World You’d Rather” is the digital campaign of 2016 WHD.
- United Nations General Assembly had founded this day under the Swedish sponsored GA Resolution A/63/L on the Support of the Coordination of Emergency Assistance of the United Nations was sponsored by Sweden.
- The main idea behind the observation of this day is to remember the 2003 bombing of the UN headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq and in this Sergio Vieira de Mello the UN Secretary-General to Iraq and his 21 colleagues were killed.
- The day was observed on 19th August 2009 for the first time.
About Sergio Vieira de Mello
- Sergio Vieira de Mello was born on 15th March 1948. He was a Brazilian United Nations diplomat and had served UN for more than 34 years.
- He becomes famous because of his hard work in the humanitarian and political programs of the UN.
- He was killed in the Canal Hotel bombing in 2003 on 19th August when he was working as the Secretary-General’s Special.
- Published on: August 23, 2016