2016 ASEAN Summit [ Current Affairs ]
The 28th and 29th edition of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit was held in Vientiane, Laos from 6th to 8th September 2016 and the summit was chaired by Thongloun Sisoulith, Prime Minister of the Lao PDR H.E.
- “Turning Vision into Reality for a Dynamic ASEAN Community” was the theme of this year.
- 10-member nations leaders of ASEAN has attended the summite and this member countries are:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Lao PDR
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had symbolized India at the ASEAN summit at the 14th ASEAN-India summit.
- ASEAN-India adopted a document of politically cohesive, economically integrated, socially responsible and people concerned with people centered ASEAN-India Community.
- The document identifies the vital significance of the scheduled review of the ASEAN-India Trade in Goods (AITIG) Agreement.
- It aims to trade-facilitative and ruins relevant to the current global trading practices.
- The document highlights the significance of maintaining peace, security and stability, unconstrained commerce, freedom of navigation in and overflight on the South China Sea.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi drowns focus on the rising export of terror in a seeming reference to Pakistan and stated that export of terror is common security threat to the region which was required for a corresponding response from the ASEAN member nations to fight against it.
About Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional organization of ten Southeast Asian states for intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic integration between them.
- Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand had established ASEAN on 8th August 1967 and letter Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), and Vietnam had joined the organization as member countries.
- Aims of ASEAN:
- Accelerating economic growth
- Social progress
- Sociocultural evolution between member countries and regional stability safety
- Various provision of a mechanism to discuss differences
- Motto: “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”
- Published on: September 12, 2016