2016 International Fleet Review Kick Starts in Visakhapatnam [ Current Affairs ]
The 2016International Fleet Review (IFR) is a military exercise which is hosted and conducted by Indian Navy. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Chandrababu Naidu has inaugurated it in Visakhapatnam. “United through Oceans” is a theme of this edition.
- The main aim behind IFR is to enhance mutual trust and confidence with neighboring navies by inviting their ships to participate in the event.
- It will be attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Defence Minister Manohar Parikar, Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimham, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral R. K. Dhowan and Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Vice Admiral Satish Soni.
- This event will attended by approximately 11, 000 guests including member of foreign delegations.
- Biggest exercise conducted in India so far.
- Naval ships from 50 different countries and various dignitaries may also participate in the event.
- It will also include 70 helicopters with hawk jet fighters; will also show their expertise over the Bay of Bengal.
- About 4000 sailors will also participate in fleet review.
- It is 4 days long event to assuring the country of the Indian Navy’s preparedness, high morale and discipline
- People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLA-N) a Chinese navy is also participating in the event for the first time.
This year IFR special importance is given to Make In India on three dimensions and they are:
- innovation and
Following Indian Navy’s ships are participating in this event:
- INS Vikramaditya- India’s biggest aircraft carrier
- INS Viraat
- destroyers INS Mysore, Kolkata
- Shivalik, Teg amongst others
Last time in 2001 Indian Navy has conducted IFR in Mumbai, Maharashtra. About navies of 29 countries from across the globe had participated
- Published on: February 9, 2016