2016 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize Will Be Honored to Khadija Ismayilova [ Current Affairs ]
The prestigious 2016 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize will be honored to the Investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova of Azerbaijan. During the celebration of World Press Freedom Day i. e. on 3 May 2016 she will be conferred with this award for her outstanding contribution to press freedom in difficult circumstances.
- An independent international jury of media professionals has suggested her name for the prestigious award.
- Khadija Ismayilova is a freelance journalist and contributor to the Azerbaijani service of Radio Free Europe.
About UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize
- It was established in 1997 by UNESCO’s Executive Board in honour of Colombian journalist Guillermo Cano Isaza.
- Colombia based Cano Foundation and Finland based Helsingin Sanomat Foundation has funded this award.
- The award comprises 25000 US dollars cash Prize.
- For the outstanding contribution to the defence and promotion of freedom of press anywhere in the world, especially achieved in the face of danger it honours a person, organization or institution.
About Khadija Ismayilova
- Khadija Ismayilova was born on 27th May 1976 at Azerbaijan.
- She is a member of the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project.
- Ismayilova was arrested on charges of incitement to suicide, a charge widely criticized by human rights organizations as bogus in December 2014.
- She was punished for seven and a half years’ imprisonment on charges relating to abuse of power and tax evasion in September 2015.
- Published on: April 12, 2016