2016 US Open Men’S Singles Title Won by Stan Wawrinka [ Current Affairs - Sports ]
The 2016 US Open (136th edition of the US Open) men’s singles title has been won by the Switzerland tennis player Stan Wawrinka (World number 3) by beating Serbia’s Novak Djokovic (World number 1) with 6-7, 6-4, 7-5 and 6-3 score.
- With this he has won third major title of his career after 2014 Australian Open, 2015 French Open and 2016 US Open.
- He also had won a gold medal at 2008 Summer Olympics for Switzerland in the men’s doubles event partnership with Roger Federer.
Other category winners:
Women’s singles title:
- Germany’s Angelique Kerber won the 2016 US Open women’s singles title by beating Czech Republic Karolina Pliskova’s Karolina Pliskova with 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 score.
Men’s Doubles title
- Pair of United Kingdom’s Jamie Murray and Brazil’s Bruno Soares have won the 2016 US Open men’s doubles title by beating Spanish pair of Pablo Carreno Busta and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez with 6–2, 6–3 score.
About US Open
- The US Open tennis one of the oldest tennis championship of the world is hard courts tournament.
- It was founded in 1881 and since that played annually.
- The tournament has five event championships in:
- men’s single
- Women’s singles
- Men’s doubles
- Women’s doubles
- Mixed doubles
- Senior, junior, and wheelchair players tournaments
- Published on: September 13, 2016