20th June Being Observed as World Refugee Day [ Current Affairs ]
World Refugee Day is being observed on 20th June every year to raise awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world, the main aim behind this observation is to draw attention to the plight of refugees and also to celebrate their resolution and flexibility and restart commitment to solve refugee problems.
- United Nations Refugee Agency (UNRA) or United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) organize various events and announces a theme for its campaign on this day to draw the public’s attention to the millions of refugees and within displaced persons worldwide who have bolted their homes influentially because of war, conflict and persecution.
- On 4 December 2000 United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had announced 20 June as World Refugee Day by passing a Resolution 55/76 to mark 50th anniversary of the 1951 Convention involving to the Status of Refugees.
- And from that time it is observed annually with different themes.
- African Refugee Day was formally celebrated on 20 June before passing this resolution in 2000, in several countries especially by Organization of African Unity (OAU) member states.
- Published on: June 20, 2016