500 Crore Rupee Projects Approved for Development of Tourism in Jammu and Kashmir [ Current Affairs ]
500 crore rupees project is announced by the Union Ministry of Tourism for integrated development of tourism in Jammu and Kashmir under Swadesh Darshan scheme which was approved by the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee as part of Development Package of Prime Minister Reconstruction Plan.
- The main focus area under the project is tourist infrastructural development in Jammu and Kashmir and the main areas are:
- Leh of Kupwara, Baramulla
- Patnitop of Sudhmahadev, Mantalai
- Pulwama of Shopian- Bafliyaz, Rajouri
- Ranjit Sagar Dam of Daksum- Pahalgam, Anantnag-Kishtwar
- Pool Doda at Baghliyar Dam.
- In the September 2014 floods, around 100 crore rupees was approved for integrated development of tourist facilities in lieu for damaged assets.
- Other proposed are:
- Last mile connectivity
- Tourist facilitation and interpretation centre
- Base camps for trekking
About Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- The Swadesh Darshan Scheme was launched by the Union Ministry of Tourism in 2014 - 15 with the objective to develop theme based tourist circuits in the country.
- These tourist circuits will be developed with the objective of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner.
- Synergizing efforts will develop it to focus on concerns and requirements of all stakeholders to improve tourist experience and increase employment opportunities.
- 13 thematic circuits have been identified for development under this scheme and they are: Buddhist Circuit, North-East India Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
- Published on: September 19, 2016