Abid Ali Neemuchwala: New CEO of Wipro [ Current Affairs ]
Abid Ali Z. Neemuchwala has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Member of the Board of the India’s third largest IT exporter Wipro Limited. He has replace T. K. Kurien who has been higher as the Executive Vice Chairman of the company.
- Since April 2015, Neemuchwala was serving as the chief operating officer (COO) of the company.
- For the 23 years he was working with India’s largest IT exporter Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), prior to joining Wipro.
- From year 2010 to 2012, he has served as BPO CEO in TCS.
- His portfolio includes rich experience in Business and Technology Operations, Process, and Consulting and Business Application Services, Global Infrastructure Services, Business Process Services and Advanced Technology Solutions.
- With a rich experience Abid is also a Certified Software Quality Analyst and a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt.
- He has completed his Electronics and Communication engineering degree from NIT, Raipur.
- And he has completed his Masters in Industrial Management from IIT Mumbai.
- The company was launched on 29 December 1945, in Mumbai by Mohamed Premji as ‘Western India Palm Refined Oil Limited’, later abbreviated to ‘Wipro’.
- At that time it was basically manufacturer of vegetable and refined oils in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- The company logo still contains a sunflower to reflect products of the original business.
- In 1966, after Mohamed Premji’s death, his son Azim Premji has become of Wipro chairman at the age of 21.
- During the 1970s and 1980s, the company shifted its focus to new business opportunities in the IT and computing industry.
- The name of the company changed from Western India Vegetable Products Limited, to Wipro Products Limited on 7 June 1977.
- Wipro has started working as the IT domain in 1980.
- Wipro has become the first software technology and Services Company in India to be certified for ISO 14001 certification in February 2002.
- Wipro Ltd. is a global company provider of comprehensive IT solutions and services, including Systems Integration, Consulting, Information Systems outsourcing, IT-enabled services, and R&D services.
- Published on: January 8, 2016