Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma Honored with Arjuna Award [ Current Affairs - Sports ]
The Arjuna Award has been honored to two Indian cricketers Ajinkya Rahane for the year 2016and Rohit Sharma for the year 2015 for their contributions to sport of cricket and in this regard Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel has presented award to them in New Delhi.
- Previously both of them were not able to receive awards from the President Pranab Mukherjee in National Sports Award in August 2016because they were participating in international tournaments.
About Arjuna Award:
- Arjuna Award was started in 1961.
- Given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to sportsperson in recognition of their outstanding achievement in National sports.
- Award included Bronze statue of Arjuna, a scroll and a monetary award of 5 lakh rupees.
About Ajinkya Rahane
- Ajinkya Madhukar Rahane (28) is an international cricketer of India and right-handed batsman.
- Currently he is the vice-captain of India in the Test format of the game.
- In August 2011 he was debuted in a Twenty20 International against England at Manchester and in March 2013 he had made his debut in Test match against Australia and his first class debut in 2007-08 session.
- Rahane has scored over 1000 runs three times in his first five seasons.
About Rohit Sharma:
- Rohit Gurunath Sharma is a right-handed batsman and an occasional right-arm off break bowler of India.
- He plays for Mumbai in domestic cricket.
- He is the captain of the Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League.
- He made his ODI debut on 23nd June 2007 against Ireland, and he played first T20 match of his career on 19th September 2007 against England.
- He had played first Test match of his career on 6th November 2013 against West India.
- Published on: September 19, 2016