Akashvani Maitree Channel Launched by President Pranab Mukherjee in Bangladesh [ Current Affairs ]
Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel along with multimedia website has been launched by President Pranab Mukherjee in Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh and the adjoining areas with blending content for both India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali Culture.
- It is Kolkata Akashvani Kendra initiative.
- The Channel will be operated from state-of-the-art brand new high power 1000Kw DRM in Chinsurah (West Bengal).
- It has ability to reach the complete length and extent of Bangladesh through medium wave and also will be accessible globally on its website and mobile app for Bengali Diaspora.
- During the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Bangladesh, the concept of the Akashvani Moitree Channel initiates from the decision taken.
- In this regard Indian and Bangladesh are agreed to share content between their broadcasting organizations in order to broadcast a mix of news and cultural programming.
About Akashvani Maitree
- In 1971 a Bangla radio service Akashvani Maitree was launched in Bangladesh during its Liberation Movement by the All India Radio (AIR).
- And the channel had played a key role in the Bangladesh liberation movement but due to some reasons it was discontinued in 2010.
- The relaunch of Akashvani Maitree is establishment of India’s shaky relations with Bangladesh as a part of its cultural diplomacy.
The service is re-launched with following two objectives:
- To attract Bengali-speaking listeners from both countries.
- To counter the presence of CRI (Chinese Radio International) with its strong presence in the region.
- The channel will be also an important entity for promotion and preservation of the composite Bengali cultural heritage disconnected geographical location.
- Published on: August 29, 2016