Anti-Rabies Drug World’s 1st Fast-Acting Will Be Launched in India [ Current Affairs ]
Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb) World’s first fast-acting anti-rabies drug will be launched in India soon. Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) and US-based Mass Biologics of the University of Massachusetts Medical School will jointly developed this drugs.
- RMAb drug is a human IgG1 monoclonal antibody that rapidly deactivates rabies virus by precisely binding to a conformational epitope of G glycoprotein of the virus.
- Compared to the existing expensive human rabies immunoglobulin (hRIG) treatment it is almost 25 % chipper.
- This drug has ability to prevent automatically from the chances of transmitting blood-borne contagions that are present in rabies immunoglobulin vaccines.
- Recombinant DNA technology is used to manufacture this drug which includes inserting of DNA encoding antigen (such as a bacterial surface protein) to the microbial DNA of cells in the body to stimulate immune response.
- The drug was found to be safe and effective after 9 years of RMAb spanning in India and abroad in various phases of human clinical trials.
- Published on: February 25, 2016