Anurag Thakur Elected as BCCI President [ Current Affairs ]
New President of BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) is Anurag Thakur (41), he was universally elected by the board’s special general meeting (SGM) held in Mumbai. With this he becomes 34th BCCI President and now he will served as president up to tenure till September 2017.
- He will replace Shashank Manohar who walked down to take get elected as ICC’s first independent chairman.
- After Fateh Singh Gaekwad (the youngest BCCI President to get elected at the age of 33 in 1963) Thakur is the second youngest BCCI President.
- Thakur had resigned as BCCI Secretary prior to this appointment.
- He represents BJP in Lok Sabha as Member of Parliament from Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh.
- Ajay Shirke will successor Thakur as BCCI Secretary at the chief executives committee meetings of the ICC.
About Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
- BCCI is the national governing body for cricket in India and is measured as world’s richest cricket board.
- It was founded in 1928 by replacing Calcutta Cricket Club.
- Under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act, 1975 it was registered as private club consortium.
- It is member of ICC and has rights to select players, umpires and officials to participate in international cricket actions and exercises total control over them.
About Anurag Thakur:
- Anurag Singh Thakur represents Himachal Pradesh in Lok Sabha as member.
- He is the son of Prem Kumar Dhumal, the former Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh.
- He is third time Member of Parliament in 14, 15 and 16th Loksabha.
- In May 2008 he was first elected to Lok Sabha by poll as a candidate of Bharatiya Janata Party.
- In 2014 he won again won BJP Lok Sabha Elections from Hamirpur.
- In January 2015 he was elected as the Honorary Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- Published on: May 23, 2016