Arun Goyal: Additional Secretary of GST Council [ Current Affairs ]
Arun Goyal a Senior IAS officer is appointed as the first additional secretary in the Goods & Services Tax (GST) Council Secretariat headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
GST is the managing body having authority to decide tax rate, exempted goods, and the threshold limit.
About Arun Goyal
- 1985 batch IAS officer of Union Territory cadre.
- Was the Additional Secretary, Project Monitoring Group in Union Cabinet Secretariat before being appointed the Additional Secretary in the Goods & Services Tax (GST) Council.
- Recently the Union Cabinet had approved appointment of the Secretary (Revenue) as the ex-officio Secretary to the GST council, chairperson, Central Board of Excise and Customs as a permanent invitee.
- Along with this Union Cabinet also has approved one post of Additional Secretary and four posts of Commissioner in the GST Council secretariat.
- The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill, 2014 was passed in Lok Sabha on 6th May 2015.
- This bill also the Constitutional (122nd) Amendment Bill seeking to introduce GST regime in India.
- Will make India a common market, harmonizing myriads of state and central levies into a national goods and services tax, boosting government revenue and decreasing business costs.
- Will reduce corruption and boost manufacturing in India.
- Will improve fiscal federalism by eliminating indirect tax blocks across states.
- Published on: September 27, 2016