B B Tandon Committee Has Been Constituted by Union Government to Monitor Government Advertisements [ Current Affairs ]
A three-member Committee has been established by the Union Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry to see that guidelines set for government advertisements by the Supreme Court are followed.
- The former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) B B Tandon will head the committee, and Senior TV journalist Rajat Sharma and ad-man Piyush Pandey will be the other two members of the committee.
- I&B Ministry has constituted the committee based on the recommendation of the three-member selection committee comprising Press Council Chairman Justice (retd) C K Prasad, I&B Secretary Sunil Arora and advertising professional Prasoon Joshi.
Supreme Court order on Government Advertisements
- Supreme Court in its order had issued Guidelines on Regulating Government Advertisements based on recommendations of Prof NR Madhava Menon Committee in May 2015.
- SC had banded publication of photos of leaders in government advertisements excluding those of the President, Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India regarding to this.
- SC had also absorbed the Union Government to establish a three-member committee to control the issue of public advertisements.
- It had clearly stated that members of this committee should be containing of persons with flawless impartiality and independence.
- Somehow SC modified its earlier May 2015 order in March 2016 and allowed photographs of Chief Ministers, Governors and ministers to be approved in public advertisements.
- Published on: April 11, 2016