Banaras Hindu University Has Completed 100 Years [ Current Affairs ]
Banaras Hindu University (BHU) has turned 100 years which was founded by Freedom fighter Pt Madan Mohan Malviya on 13th February 2016. In 1916 BHU was founded as important seat of higher education. It was first university in India that was the result of a private individual’s efforts during that time.
- BHU had also played an important role in the freedom movement of India.
- The main aim behind its implementation is to build a bridge between India’s past and reforming world system in the areas of social sciences, humanities particularly in evolving non colonial history as a discipline.
- Motto of BHU: Vidyaya’mritamasnute (Sanskrit), which means “Knowledge imparts immortality. ”
- University had structured a centenary seminar on higher education and contribution of BHU, to make the day special.
- Supreme Court Judge Pinaki Chandra Ghosh was the Chief Guest of seminar.
- Union Government had released special coins of Rs. 100 (commemorative) and Rs. 10 (released in the market) to memorialize the 100th year of establishment of BHU in September 2014.
- A special commemorative stamp has been also issued by Postal Department to mark the occasion.
- BHU has organized into 6 institutes and has 14 faculties and about 140 departments in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and an Institute of Medical Sciences.
- It is one of Asia’s largest residential universities with more than 15, 000 students.
- BHU is also listed in the list of Institutes of National Importance.
- Published on: February 15, 2016