Bharatavani Portal Launched by Union HRD Ministry [ Current Affairs ]
The multilingual knowledge portal www.bharatavani.in has been launched by Smriti Zubin Irani the Union Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD) at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh as part of Union Government’s Digital India Mission.
- This is first it kind of knowledge portal of India which will help the government to showcase the Indian culture and heritage to the world.
Key facts about Bharatavani Portal:
- Bharatavani is the largest online repository of dictionaries in India which have more than 130 dictionaries, glossaries and terminology books.
- It will confirm universalization of education and also creation of a knowledge society in the digital age.
- The main objective behind launch of portal is to bring people of India under one portal and to provide single online portal for treasure trove of knowledge and India’s native cultures such as languages, dictionaries, language IT tools and textbooks.
- The key goal behind this launch is to bridge the Digital and language split within the country by containing people in the Open Knowledge movement.
- Focus of HRD is to become a single point source for multiple language learning, content and technology.
- It will help government to reserve, protect and contain all Indian languages without refinement through technological development.
- It will also allow government to take all actions required to extend the range of Indian languages across communities and cultures.
- This will play key role in development of integration by providing many cross-lingual grammar books, learning courses and also allow their transliteration.
- Bharatvaani Portal include following sections:
- Paa Thyapustaka Kosha: Textbooks by various authorities
- Jnana Kosha: Encyclopedic Knowledge base in all languages
- Shabda Kosh: Dictionaries, Glossaries, Terminologies
- Bhasha Kosha: Language learning books
- Suchanaa Praudyogikii Kosha: It tools (right now linked to TDIL)
- Bahumaadhyama Kosha: Multimedia content.
- The portal is launched in 22 scheduled languages and later it will be extended to 100 more languages.
- Bharatavani Multi-lingual App was also launched along with web portal which will allow users to search for one language text in another language as well as get meanings in different languages.
- Published on: May 27, 2016