China Inducts Largest Homegrown Y-20 Military Transport Plane [ Current Affairs ]
China inducted its largest indigenously-built transport aircraft Y-20, A breakthrough in military aviation technology for the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) which will allow the world’s largest force to transport cargo and troops over long distances in various weather situations.
- Y-20 entering into service marks is a crucial step for the Air Force improving its strategic power projection capability.
- Air Force needs more and better transport to better fulfil its military responsibilities, including safeguarding national security as well as international and domestic saving and relief work.
Details about Y-20 military transport plane:
- Y-20 officially joined the PLA Air Force in Chengdu. It has a maximum take-off weight of 200 tonnes.
- It is best for transporting cargo and personnel over long distances in various weather situations.
- Plane is comparable to the Russian-made IL-76 and US made C-17. It is more advance than the IL-476.
- Its induction will make easier for Chinese PLA to arrange troops, enable military to act more quickly and respond to emergencies in a better manner.
- Plane made its maiden flight in January 2013 and since then it had undergone trials runs, including in the rough Tibetan terrain,
- It had made its debut at the 10th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in November 2014.
- China and Pakistan manufactures J-17 lightweight, single-engine, multi-role combat aircraft.
- China made new breakthroughs in aviation technology.
- In all situation Pakistan shown its interest in acquiring the new planes especially the J-31 and J-20.
- China made advances in developing new planes.
- It is still dependent on Russian engines for almost all planes including the latest versions for mass production.
- Published on: July 7, 2016