Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2016 Has Been Passed by Lok Sabha [ Current Affairs ]
The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2016 has been passed by Lok Sabha to include certain communities in the list of Scheduled Castes (SC) from 4 states. The bill aims to amend Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 to include certain communities from
- West Bengal
This provision is all about to rejection of certain communities from Odisha and removal of area restriction in respect of certain communities.
- Chhattisgarh: Addition of Sais, Sahis, Sarathi, Soot-Sarathi, Thanwar communities in the list.
- Haryana: Addition of Aheria, Aheri, Hari, Heri, Thori, Turi Rai Sikh communities in the list
- Kerala: Addition of Peruvannan community in the list and Modification in the area of specification of Malayan community.
- West Bengal: Elimination of area restriction of Chain community.
- Odisha: Exclusion of Bariki and Kummari communities in the list.
Union Social Justice Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot has announced the bill in the Parliament as per the provisions of Article 341 of the Constitution.
- It is authorizes Parliament to include or eliminate castes from the list of Programmed Castes in the notification.
- It also authorizes the President to identify castes which will be estimated as Scheduled Castes through a notification.
- Published on: March 16, 2016