Contract of Exploration of Poly Metallic Sulphides Approved by Union Cabinet [ Current Affairs ]
15 years contract for undertaking exploration and other developmental activities related to Poly-Metallic Sulphides (PMS) has been approved by the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences and the International Seabed Authority (ISA).
- The examination and other growing actions has been assigned in the area of 10, 000 sq. km in parts of Central and South – West Indian Ridges (SWIR) which is located in the Indian Ocean.
Benefits of signing contract
- Exclusive rights of India for examination of PMS in the selected Area in the Central Indian Ridge (CIR) and South West Indian Ridge (SWIR) in Indian Ocean will be dignified.
- It will improve India’s existence in the Indian Ocean where other countries like China, South Korea and Germany are active.
- The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences will examine the execution of this program with the contribution from various national institutes and research organizations/laboratories.
About Poly-Metallic Sulphides (PMS)
- PMS are mineral guarantee with three or more metals in profitable measures that may happen in volcanogenic, magmatic or hydrothermal environments.
- Deep seabed PMS primarily contain iron, silver, gold, zinc, copper, platinum in variable constitutions.
- They are shaped due to precipitation of hot liquids coming from deep interior of the oceanic top due to upsurge hot magma discharged through mineralized chimneys.
- PMS found in the Ocean Ridges have attracted worldwide attention with their long term commercial and strategic values.
About International Seabed Authority (ISA)
- The International Seabed Authority (ISA) is an international body which organizes, regulates and controls all mineral (non-living resources) associated activities in the international seabed area further than the limits of national jurisdiction.
- It purposes under the protection of the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
- Published on: June 17, 2016