FCI’S Depot Online System Has Been Launched by the Union Government [ Current Affairs ]
Depot Online System of state run Food Corporation of India (FCI) has been launched by the Union Government to carry transparency and minimize storage losses of food grains. The Union Food and public Distribution Minister Ram Vilas Paswan have launched this system in New Delhi as part of Digital India initiative of Union Government.
- With this system the real time monitoring of FCI operations and enhance transparency and efficiency will be done easily.
- The project is implemented in the FCI owned 553 depots and subsequently FCI hired godowns will be also brought under the range of the project later.
- This system will make the entire process from entry and exit of food grains at FCI depots computerization.
- It would remove usage of manual registers.
- It will also help in better monitoring and supervision as would reduce leakages and losses.
- Food Corporation of India (FCI) was founded on 14th January 1965 at Thanjavur - rice bowl of Tamil Nadu.
- Its headquarters are located at Chennai under the Food Corporations Act 1964.
Basic objectives of the National Food Policy:
- Effective price support operations for safeguarding the interests of the farmers
- Distribution of food grains throughout the country for Public Distribution System
- Maintaining satisfactory level of operational and buffer stocks of food grains to ensure National Food Security
- Regulate market price to provide food grains to consumers at a reliable price
- Published on: March 18, 2016