First World Conference on Tourism for Development Kicked Off at Beijing [ Current Affairs ]
At Beijing, China the first World Conference on Tourism for Development (WCTD) was kicked off from 18 to 21 May 2016. The theme of conference was ‘Tourism for Peace and Development’ to advance the contribution of tourism to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- The Government of China and United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has jointly organized the event.
- The main focus was discussion to align national development policies of countries with the SDGs and the role of public and private partnerships (PPP) in the 2030 SDGs.
- It also examined how to advance the contribution of tourism to the 17 SDGs counting the sector’s ability to encourage local culture, create jobs and be a mediator of change to more sustainable consumption and production (SCP) practices.
- The conference complemented two high level sessions focusing on:
- Tourism for Poverty Reduction
- Tourism for Peace
- At the side of China as chair of the G20 also hosted the 7th G20 Tourism Ministers’ Meeting under the theme “Sustainable Tourism – An Effective Tool for Inclusive Development”.
- The (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency which is responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and unanimously available tourism. United Nations World Tourism Organization
- It is the important global organization in the field of tourism, which supports tourism as a driver of financial growth, inclusive development and conservational sustainability and offers leadership and support to the sector in proceeding knowledge and tourism policies worldwide.
- It inspires the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism to maximize the involvement of tourism to socio-economic development, while minimizing its conceivable negative impacts, and is dedicated to endorsing tourism as an instrument in achieving the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), geared towards dropping deficiency and fostering sustainable development.
- Published on: May 23, 2016