For Us Temporary Work Visa Issue India Moves to Wto [ Current Affairs ]
The United States has decided to impose high fees L-1 and H-1B categories of temporary working visas so India has filed complaint against US in the World Trade Organization (WTO). US had forced fees on L-1 and H-1B categories of non-immigrant temporary working visas category applicants into the country.
According to India:
- With the global norms US measure are unpredictable and that would impact Indian IT professionals as it makes Indian IT companies less competitive in that market.
- These measures seem to be “inconsistent” with the terms, limitations and conditions agreed under the GATS.
- US President Barack Obama had inked into law of spending package which had introduced a hefty $4, 000 fee for certain categories of H-1B visa and $4, 500 for L1 visa in 2015.
- And as according to these low companies having more than more than 50 per cent of their US employees on H-1B and L1 visas were forced pay the new fee from April 1, 2016.
- H-1B and L1 visas are provisional work visas for expert IT professionals to work in US and India is the largest user of both H1B and L1 visas.
- Published on: March 7, 2016